Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:36:12 -0500
From:         John Olmsted <olmcons@NETINC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Stabilizer link
Comments: To: Chris Higgins <chiggins@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Chris Higgins wrote:

> I recently discovered that the front driver's-side stabilizer link on my 81 > Vanagon was broken. You know, the small bar which connects the stabilizer > bar to the lower control rod. Is this a common problem? > > > Any help would be appreciated. > > CHRIS HIGGINS > chiggins@bellatlantic.net > '81 Vanagon L

I broke one of these links and made the mistake of replacing only the one that broke. Soon after I lost both links. It seems that when you loose one link, the other usually has developed microcracks and will break soon after. I would advise you to replace both links at once. I also would advise anyone replacing these links to have the interface between the threaded part and the link body radiused on a lathe. The 'step' between the threaded portion and the body of the link act as a stress raiser due to the lack of a radius. This seems to be a design defect in the link, and accounts for the failure in this region. As far as I can tell, all stabilizer links that fail, fail at this location. -- ____________

Diesel John Southern Ontario, CANADA

'83 Vanagon GL Diesel "The Smoking Tortoise" '71 S-Cab Pickup "Ole Blu" '83 Audi 5000TD '84 Audi 5000 Avant ex '71 Super Beetle '71 Type II "Ole Red" '76 Scirocco '77 Diesel Rabbit '78 Diesel Rabbit

Member LIMBO & VW CLUB