Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:34:38 -0600
From:         Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      mileage
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Just returned from a long trip northern Wisconsin to the Rio Grand and back over spring break. Nice place to go birding if there are any westy birders out there.

Oh, the VW content... I was surprised to see my mileage vary a great deal between over the 3,800 mile trip. High was only 19mpg and the low was 13.7mpg. Averaged around 16 mpg. Now we did drive a lot at 65 to 68 miles per hour and we did run into a good bit of head wind but I figured we'd do better than that especially since it's a new engine with only 6,000 miles on it. Is this normal for an 84 westy automatic?

One other puzzle. Towards the end of the trip I pulled in for gas and when I stopped and put the trans in netural the engine began reving up and down between 1000 and 1800 rpm. Hasen't done it since so it really has me puzzled. Any ideas?

TIA, Bob

84 westy "der bus"