Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:37:30 -0600
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor2@FLASH.NET>
Subject:      Re: engine swap source: TDI
Comments: To: Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Björn wrote:

> At 10:58 AM 15/03/98 -0500, you wrote: > >Following is excerpt from company profile for VW Industrial engines that > >I found in Thomas Registerm 1998 ed. For all of you who talking about > >swapping engines, this may be of help. > > > > > >Volkswagen Of America Inc., Industrial Engine Div.,450 Barclay Blvd > >Lincolnshire, IL 60069-3608 (50M+) (847)-634-5290 > >Fax: (847) 634-5205 > > > >Don Thompson > >93 EV > > > > > Thanks for the info. I phoned them and found that these engines are not > certified for road applications and therefore it is probably not worthwhile > putting them into any car.

Bjorn, Volks, TDI Wannabe's:I think these motors are basically the same motors. One of those is the one that "Baja" Bob Bellance put in his Diesel Westy last summer and has been touring Baja ever since. As I understand it, due to all factors: marketing, unknowns in "endorsing" this engine swapping and of course their legal liability, VW Industrial will not be interested in selling you one.

The same thing is happening with Subaru engines in the Experimental Aircraft industry. People are wanting to buy new, out of the crate Subaru engines for their homebuilt aircraft and Subaru has been using all sorts of tactics to keep from selling the engines directly. They feel they don't need the business and can't afford the legal liability in our letigious society. Somehow Bob Bellanca got one of the swirl-combustion engines, I believed he told me he secured it from a local dealers in marine generators, as these engines are used in marine electrical generators. So don't think those aren't the same engines, I'll postulate they are the -exact- same engines, though truly not road certified (who cares?), just getting one for a purpose which they are not marketing toward may be challenging and require some work due to corporate reluctance to expose themselves unnecessarily to lawsuits. -- ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> Shalom Mark B. Magee 82 Diesel Westy 87GL 96 Suzuki 4WD Sport Kemah TX USA John 14:6