Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Mar 1998 01:09:59 EST
From:         SyncroHead <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's Correct Oil Level: MIN or MAX?!
Comments: To: turinsky@juno.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

In a message dated 98-03-17 12:14:59 EST, turinsky@juno.com writes:

> Well, I wondered if someone would comment on the oil quantity (4.25 > qts.)! The owner's manual states 4.2qts. w/o filter, 4.8qts. with filter > change, and that the difference between MIN and MAX is 1 quart. In > reality I probably got around 4.35 - 4.40 in the thing.

I believe that some Vanagon dipsticks show 1 qt between min and max, while others show 1/2 quart between them. Also, make certain that you're pushing the stick i all the way, or you'll get a falsely low reading. I always put in a bit over 4.5qts and always change the filter with the oil.

<snip> > 6) "I NEVER fill the crankcase oil level to the tip of the operating > range on the dipstick. I always keep the oil level between the bottom of > the operating range and 1/4 up from the bottom. This lowered my oil > temperature (VDO drain plug sensor and electric gauge) from 255 degrees F > to 185 degrees F at 70 mph on a 80 degree day! Usual oil temperature is > about 175 degrees F even in 30 degree weather. Before reducing the oil > level, hot idle oil pressure was sometimes 1-2 psi. Now it is generally > 10 psi. Hot, 3000rpm oil pressure is 30-40 psi now. The oil warning light > and buzzer came on a few times before I made these changes but they never > come on now." <snip> > Now, as a pilot, when dealing with Air Cooled engines, oil is used not > only to reduce friction but also to REMOVE heat. Too much oil in an > airplane engine can lead to higher engine temps.

With a primary purpose of the oil to remove heat from the metal engine, more oil would certainly have greater capacity to remove heat. Unless there is "too much" oil, which could cause the effects others have described, causing oil foaming and all. I seriously doubt that VW would design the MAX mark on the dipstick to allow "too much" oil though - possible though. Another thought though... getting back to a purpose of oil to carry away heat, hving hotter oil may be evidence that it is actually carrying away more heat. I'll need to think about that a bit.

Regards, Jim Davis