Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Mar 1998 05:52:02 EST
From:         ROGunter <ROGunter@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Level Min vs Max
Comments: To: csmith@SDSC.EDU, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-03-17 15:19:07 EST, csmith@SDSC.EDU writes:

<< Not to through another screw into this conversation ...

But the cooler readings that one observes when the oil level is less than maximum, is this the result of genuinely cooler oil OR is it an sensor 'artifact' caused by a reduction in the amount of 'hot' oil (due to sub-optimum oil level) that is supposedly constantly bathing the sensor ?

Any thoughts ?

Chris vanagon list admin >> I can attest that the oil is cooler with less than maximum volume. I was driving along one day in my '85 GL and the oil temp guage kept rising. I stopped, unscrewed the oil drain plug a few turns and scalded the dickens out of my hand from the almost boiling oil that dripped out into my pail. After driving a few more miles, the oil cooled down. When I got home I changed oil and when I went to drain it out it was cool enough to put my hand into without ill effect.

Russell G. '85 GL '93 EV