Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:11:19 -0900
From:         "Kevin J. Turinsky" <turinsky@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Request for Advice: Coolant Change,
              and Oil Cooler O-ring and Coolant Flange Change.
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi Volks:

Thanks to ALL for the conversations on MIN vs. MAX and on oil filter differences. I leaned a bunch. Now on to preparing for the job of COOLANT CHANGE!!!!

I've collected a bunch of info on change methods from the archives. I'll probably use a combination of flushing techniques. (Assemble the Vanagon vertically like the space shuttle onto 12-ton jack-stands, get naked, remove every single hose I can find, stand on my ear, suck on the tube, whilst employing the family dog or 15lb- "heater cat" to keep the RPM's up and turn the heater controls to scorch, etc. Sounds like a no-brainer!)

THE SITUATION: The P.O.of my Syncro has had the dreaded "green-stuff" in the cooling system for about 2-3 years. Now, the vehicle only has a little more than 18,000 miles on it, of which probably less than 1000-1500 miles were put on in the last two years. Therefore, that coolant has just been sitting in the system, not circulating very much. The coolant in the FILL tank is still very green, no scum, rust, discoloration, etc. But who know exactly how much evil it has done to my system. I'd like to know. (Since it's been idle for so long, ALL the fluids are going to be replaced. This is just the beginning.)

I'm considering removing the radiator and flushing it, separately from the rest of the cooling system, with a MILD radiator flush. (I got this one from the archives.)

***What's your favorite MILD radiator flush. (Since the vehicle has such low miles I doubt it needs something excessively caustic.)***

Am I going to create more problems by removing the radiator, or should I just skip the flush, figure the system is pretty clean and go on from there? I know I'd feel better if I really knew more about the condition of the inside of that radiator...so I'll probably end up taking it out and flushing it so I can get a better idea of how clean it is. I'll be able to clean up the outside of it too. (Archives again)

Since I'll have the coolant and oil out, I figured I change the O-ring between the oil cooler and block, and the coolant flange and gasket. (Thanks Tim Smith, Joel Walker, and others) Is this pretty straight-forward or am I going to need lots of extra time, should I do one before the other, do I need special tools, am I going to need to replace anything else in the process of changing these two items...

...are there any other questions to ask?

I'm trying to get things all together before Friday so I can start this thing Friday after work and still have the rest of the weekend to work on it. Hopefully this project won't take me an entire month to complete like everything else seems to.

Thanks Volks!

Kevin Turinsky turinsky@juno.com '89 Syncro Westie

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]