Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:08:42 +0200
From:         Andrew McCain <dmccain@SEVAKFI.ORG>
Subject:      electrical oddessy part 2
Comments: To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@zuni.likeminds.com>

thanks for your kind words about the relay, guys, i am not going to take it back, 'cause it only cost about $2.50 here :) parts are cheap, and labor is almost free - and not hourly. nobody say unionize. ok? please?

anyhoo. this is not the end of the story. take five - no start. as the painter has a habit of getting into work later and later these days, i called up the PO - nice guy. he came over, brought his mechanic with him(ya know, the one who actually seviced the beast before). we got it started, and took it to his shop(the mech.'s name is Ahmet, by the way) pulled the glo plugs and tested them before my eyes. sure enough, two of them were dead. replaced them, gave her an oil/filter change, changed the fuel filter(ahmet exclaimed, "Hey! this is one of mine! so's this! this thing hasn't had an oil change in 2 years!!!" uf da!) and also the air filter, which almost gagged me when i took it out. how the beast was able to get anywhere in that condition amazes me - and says a lot about the design. anyway, she is purring and happy, even for a diesel in Istanbul's currently sub freezing temps - it's still snowing. now, about that heater. . .

AnDrew McCain '82 Diesel Istanbul, Turkey.

[message/rfc822]