Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:46:31 -0800
From:         Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Re: Paulchen (and other) racks
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>At 10:22 PM 17/03/98 -0700, you wrote: >>Hi Vanaoneers... >> >>Vic (our '90 syncro Westie) is in search of the best way to carry four bikes >>for us. I've seen a reference to a web page where Paulchen racks may be >>available, but I can't seem to find the adress. If anyone knows how to >>purchase one of these fine racks, or has any other suggestions about >>carrying 4 bikes, I'd appreciate the info...Thanks >> >> The Paulchen rack is still the best (and probably the most expensive). Some tips though:

To carry four bikes you need a bumper support (available from Paulchen dealer). I purchased only the frame with the bumper support and I got a four bike extension made. I also used aluminium mouldings (L shape) for the support of the bikes. You can mount them in a pair connected with stainless bolts and two nuts which allows for variable width of the tires and this costs a quarter of the Paulchen parts. They are attached to the rack with pipe brackets which are available at any hardware store.

I also had a bush bar made with a fold down part, like the Paulchen rack, for two bikes in front. This allows me to carry six bikes at once (large family, you know).

greetings,

Björn Ratjen, Ph.D.

Canada ph/fax (250) 743-7575