Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:53:39 -0600
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor2@FLASH.NET>
Subject:      Re: engine swap source: TDI
Comments: To: Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Björn wrote:

> I am posting this again because it did not seem to get through to the list > somehow. Maybe it was canned during the extreme security practice earlier today. > > > > > >> At 10:58 AM 15/03/98 -0500, you wrote: > >> >Following is excerpt from company profile for VW Industrial engines that > >> >I found in Thomas Registerm 1998 ed. For all of you who talking about > >> >swapping engines, this may be of help. > >> > > >> > > >> >Volkswagen Of America Inc., Industrial Engine Div.,450 Barclay Blvd > >> >Lincolnshire, IL 60069-3608 (50M+) (847)-634-5290 > >> >Fax: (847) 634-5205 > >> > > >> >Don Thompson > >> >93 EV > >> > > >> > > > > > >Bjorn, Volks, TDI Wannabe's:I think these motors are basically the same motors. > >One of those is the one that "Baja" Bob Bellance put in his Diesel Westy last > >summer and has been touring Baja ever since. As I understand it, due to all > >factors: marketing, unknowns in "endorsing" this engine swapping and of course > >their legal liability, VW Industrial will not be interested in selling you one. > > > Well, you are right. I phoned them again and asked for availability for boat > and other applications. The guy I talked to said, that the engine was too > complex to just sell to anyone. No mentioning of certified mechanics, VW > experience etc. would change his mind. I asked him if there was someone who > would sell the engines. He said it was him, but currently he would only sell > to the Feds for military applications (here comes your German powered > tank...) and to the Environmental Protection agency. He said he was working > on a deal with Cummins. I challenged him whether he was really interested in > selling the engines, he laughed. > > I learned in the conversation that it is the same TDI as is used in > automotive applications. He apologized that this was the only one available > and therefore it was complicated to use it for other applications. (In a > previous conversation he had mentioned that these engines were not certified > for automotive applications.) It seems that VW only sends the automotive > electronics to North America. So it is the engine we would need. > > Anyone out there with more persuasive methods in the Lincolnshire area?

Bjorn, TDI wanabees, (Sniveling TDI Lurkers), First of all, don't even speak to those guys anymore, we have no chance with them. As I recall, I spoke with Bob Bellanca off line about this topic of how he got his and as I recall he contacted a Marine Generator distributor that carries of marine generators that incorporate these engines. In the marine generator industry, companies usually manufacture only the generator side of the equipment and purchase the powerplants to mate to them. Therefore if you can find a distributor that sells these generators, I don't know the brand as I have not researched as of yet. Then you can go to the local distributor and ask him if he can get you a "replacement" powerplant as in the generators he is selling. I would tell him the whole story, and that we can't seem to get our hands on these motors any other way, and that if he can get one: They should be available to him easily as replacements for burnt out or otherwise inoperative generators; then ask his if he wouldn't mind doing it and making himself a buck and getting you (me too!) the motors we need. I beleive this is how Bob secured his. Bad side: we won't be able to do this all together as VW Industrial will find something "smelly in Denmark" if one distributor suddenly needs 45 TDI's, we need to all do this locally on our own, maybe doing small deals of say 3 to 5 motors at best. I am going to start scouting the numerous generators suppliers in my area (Houston Ship Channel) and will let you all know what I find. What we need to find is what Gen set companies are employing VW diesel engines. Let's keep up the fight for power and diesel efficiency! ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> Shalom Mark B. Magee 82 Diesel Westy 87GL 96 Suzuki 4WD Sport Kemah TX USA John 14:6