Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:25:48 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 82 ex-Diesel Starter Trouble
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

> > My 82 ex-diesel Westfalia decided to stop starting recently. It will > start just fine if you give it a little shove, but on it's own, no-way. > I did the usual checks, connections, battery voltage, ect. I did notice > with the volt meter attached to the battery and the key turned to start, > there was no significant voltage drop. It might have dropped a quarter > of a volt, probably due to the fuel pump and other components. This > leads me to believe I'm not getting power to the starter. I've read > through the Bentley and it's not much help. Bentley mentions a starter > switch which I can't locate anywhere. Anyone have any ideas? Also, VW's > ingitions switches only give you one shot to turn the starter, then you > have to remove the key. Anyone have that feature fail them? I don't mind > parking on hills, but when I can't I look like a jerk for making my > girlfriend push the van while I sit in the drivers seat. She can't get > the push start thing timed just right :) > Erik, You don't have to remove the key, you just have to turn it back to "off" and then try to start it again.

If you are not getting juice to the starter, you probably have a bum ignition switch. I don't know if the diesel would have had a relay, but none of the gas engines do.

Go to the starter itself and measure the voltage you get at the wire that comes from the ignition switch. Unplug it from the solenoid and throw your voltmeter on it. You should see 12v when your helper turns the key to "start." If not, suspect either ignition switch or a break in the wiring between the switch and solenoid.

Your low battery voltage drop leads me to believe this is what you will find.

However, if you get voltage there, then plug it back in and listen to the solenoid as your helper turns the key to start. If it doesn't make any noise it's probably shot, but test by first testing the starter motor itself. Do this HELPER PUSHING ON CLUTCH, TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL, EMERGENCY BRAKE ON!!!!!!

Get a big screwdriver or some insulated pliers and short the two big post connections on the back of the solenoid. This should make the starter run WITHOUT activating the solenoid. If it doesn't run and you have 12v at the post from the battery, then your starter is likely toast.

If that works, then you can short the big post where the battery connects to the terminal that the ignition switch connects to, which should activate the solenoid and crank the engine merrily away. If it doesn't and you have 12v to the post where battery power connects, solenoid is likely toast.

You can also test the solenoid by putting your voltmeter in line between the second post on the solenoid (where the wire connects to that plunges into the starter motor) and the starter. Put the red lead into that braided wire and ground the black lead. Have your helper turn the key to start. If you've got 12v from the ignition switch to the solenoid, and 12v to the other post connector on the solenoid, then when your helper turns the key to start, you should read 12v at that little braided wire. If not, solenoid is toast, get it rebuilt.

If you think your starter is good and it passes the above starter motor test without strange noises, and if you are strapped for cash, then just have the solenoid rebuilt, as I did. If you want to go whole hog, then get a rebuilt starter.

While you're having fun under there, this would be a good time to add the starter relay, http://www.type2.com/bartnik/relay.htm

-- Sean Bartnik Fredericksburg, Virginia 1981 Volkswagen Vanagon L Westfalia 1974 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia convertible http://www.type2.com/bartnik/myvan.htm