Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:43:27 -0800
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air cooled blocks
Comments: To: Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Don,

I believe the block is the same, but the crankshaft is a bit more stroked-out than the 1800cc. Nonetheless, an upgrade from 1800 to 2000cc Type IV is no big sweat. Make sure either of your oil coolers is in good shape, though. :)

To the list,

Is it conceivable to put Digijet stuff on a Type IV motor? That way, a Vanagon up to '85 will pass emissions with a Type IV in it. Sure, I lose HP, but if (sorry, WHEN) my heads leak, I might very well be in a position to not be able to afford these long-shot engine swaps- I can however, use an inexpensive, easy to find Type IV around- or build one up! Besides, Type IVs are a known quantity to me. Rabbit motors aren't- and empirical observation leads me to believe that their reliability is just as if not more precarious than the good ol' Type IV.

Best regards, Sam P.S. Darwin may be dead, but I hope "Creation Science"- which isn't science, but a means to a religious/political end- dies too, soon.

---Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM> wrote: > > Does anyone know if the blocks for the 1.8 liter type 4 engines are > interchangeable with a 2 liter block? I have a 2 liter block with some damage > and a 1.8 liter engine (I have not torn it down yet) that I would like to > upgrade to 2 liter. > > What I need to know is if the holes where the cylinders go into the block are > the same size on the 1.8 and 2 liters. I know the pistons are different sizes. >