Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:50:10 -0500
From:         Chris Higgins <chiggins@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stabilizer link
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Appreciate all the feedback I received from my earlier post. Thought I would share my experience replacing the left front stabilizer link on my 81 Vanagon:

Refer to the Bentley section on Front Wheel Suspension (page 40.2 in my book) for an illustration.

INGREDIENTS 2 Washers (251-411-043) 1 Nut (N-011-010-11) 1 Spacer Sleeve (251-411-047) 2 Bushings, Strut bar (251-411-039) 1 Bushing, Stabilizer bar (251-411-045) 1 Stabilizer link (251-411-051)

UTENSILS Socket wrench 16mm socket (for the nut) 17mm socket (for my gear puller tool) Gear puller Torque wrench Knife (sharp) Screwdriver, Flat blade Dishwashing liquid Penetrating oil Spare car jack (I used the one in the trunk of my Jetta)

RECIPE A. Jack-up Vanagon and remove wheel. B. Remove old stab link parts: Use the gear puller to easily remove the old stab link. Cut old bushing off with sharp knife. Use flat blade screwdriver to pry-off upper strut bar bushing. Squeeze some penetrating oil in there to loosen things up a bit. Use the gear puller to force-out the old lower bushing and spacer sleeve. C. Attach the new stab link: Soap-up the new stabilizer bar bushing, and twist it into the new stab link. Slide the upper strut bar washer and bushing onto the new stab link, and place the threaded end of the stab link in the strut bar hole. Soap-up the end of the stabilizer bar real good, and the stabilizer bar bushing, and push the new stab link onto the end of the stabilizer bar (this requires some effort). D. Fasten it all together: Take your spare car jack, and jack-up the lower control arm to compress the suspension a bit. This will enable the threaded end of the new stab link to protrude through the hole in the strut bar. Be real careful when working with suspension components under tension! Slide the spacer sleeve, bushing and washer onto the protruding threads of the new stab link, and fasten it all together with the nut. Torque this nut to 30Nm per Bentley. Slowly release the tension from the suspension components by backing-off your handy-dandy spare jack, ensuring that your new stab link parts are seated properly. Now remove this spare jack from under your Vanagon! E. Reinstall your wheel, jack-it all down, and go for a test drive.

The entire process cost me about $100 (not including the cost of my tools and consumables), and took me about 1.5 hours to complete. If the other side breaks, I figure it should take me no more than an hour to do the job. Hope this is useful for someone else on the list.

CHRIS HIGGINS chiggins@bellatlantic.net '81 Vanagon L