Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Mar 1998 11:28:55 -0400
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      Audi 15x6 steel rim, FYI
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi,

Had a few requests for info on the dealer supplied 15" steel rims I've put on the Syncro.

part #'s 616 3E 15Jx6H2 ET45 KPZ

This is what's stamped on the hub face, KPZ is the makers logo? ET45 is the offset, and I am running these rims without any spacer plate with no probs. The 235/75/15 MTs are a tad big (29.2x9.3), go for 225/75/15 (about 28.3x9.1) for Syncros, 205/60/15 for stock diam/road. Close spots are at back edge of front fender lip/upper A-arm, and rear inside corner, so mount one up then check it at ALL 4 corners of the van.

These were listed/pictured in the VW/Audi dealers accessory catalog, where many steel wheels for all models were shown. Full list was $135/ I think, I got closeout price of $45/. So from the dealer they should be under $100US/, best deal I can think of.

Mods. req'd... centres must be bored out to a hair over 2" to clear axle stubs. Remove/discard the two small bolts holding on the rear drums. Ideally get lug nuts that have the same size curved face (smaller) as the Audi has. FLAPS can help select, or check a junked Audi. I just re-used the Syncros, which are too big and loses me about 2 turns of the nut.

Nice thing is no need to get longer studs/bolts, unlike the alloy versions. The rims are almost same style as 14" steel, silver grey paint, many small holes around the perimeter. Audi hubcaps won't fit due to axle stubs, need the type that clip onto the wheel nuts. These are sold for permanently mounting snow tires on, but I have never seen a set in the junkyard! Plenty off alloys, usually slightly out of round, even if true/undented, so check carefully. I prefer steel for rough use. HTH, Tim