Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:42:39 -0500
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shift Linkage Cleaning and Adjustment
Comments: To: Vanagon Mail List <VANAGON@bigkitty.azaccess.com>

---I may be able to help. When we bought our '88 2.5 years ago, the shifter felt like it was lubed with roofing tar. All of the bushings that support the shifter rod do need to be cleaned and lubed, but I found that the key was the "ball and socket" on the tranny end of the linkage. Ours had a torn rubber boot which had allowed the lube to become contaminated with everything imaginable.

Besides removing, cleaning and relubing with synthetic grease, I also replaced the torn boot. To avoid paying dealer prices and to try to avoid a recurrence, I went to a local speed shop and purchased a hot pink urethane flex boot intended for a monster truck shock absorber. Minor revisions (like a rubber bushing to accomodate different diameters, and a tiny SS hose clamp) and the problem was solved. been that way for almost 2 years.

Good luck- let's hear how you make out.

Gary