Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:15:13 -0000
From:         Frank LaHorgue <lahorgue@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Chatter >> Tom, Dan, EMZ, Gary
Comments: To: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

On Sunday, March 22, 1998 3:07 PM, Tom Young [SMTP:young@sherlock.SIMS.Berkeley.EDU] wrote: > Frank: > > Same problems here. I'm not sure of the origin of my clutch, but it's > Sachs with maybe only 15,000 miles on it. Replacing it again is on my > list of "summer projects." > > > I appreciate all your comments -- basically, we have followed all your suggestions. I have replaced engine and tranny mounts recently. Likewise a new needle bearing was installed with the most recent new Sachs Canadian clutch which now has only 2,000 miles. The flywheel was machined at clutch installation. Noticing that the bracket holding the slave cylinder for the clutch mechanism seemed loose, we replaced it with a new part. The hydraulics were checked and no problem was apparent. The new clutch chatters as badly as the nearly new one it replaced. I have checked the credentials of the mechanics working on beast and they are highly experienced -- and stumped.

Another local Vanagon is having the same problem since replacing its original engine with a Canadian rebuilt. My service manager claims that they have installed a new "cross-over shaft" in this latter Vanagon. Apparently, VW has changed the design of this item and the hope is that this new part may take care of the problem. I don't understand what a "cross-over" shaft is, but I will track results with this other Vanagon and keep the list posted.

Frank