Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:37:14 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      ENGINE SWAP: Got the I4 installed today!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

This is copied from my web site that is show the steps involved for swapping a wasserboxer for a VW inline four into my Syncro Double Cab:

http://www.volkswagen.org/vanagon/syncroswap.htm

March 22nd - Got lots done today! I love Sunday afternoons! - Determined that the Audi Fox pilot bearing is the same as the KEP supplied bearing so I left the Fox bearing in place seeing how it was in good shape. - Attached the KEP adapter plate to the engine block with silicon sealant sandwiched in between the two. The KEP flywheel went on next, followed by the Vanagon clutch disc and pressure plate. - Now it is time to install the engine! The inline four is a lot lighter and easier to move than the wasserboxer. I simply put the engine on a piece of carpet and slid it under the rear of the truck! Next I attached the engine hoist lifted up into place and bolted it up to the transmission, again using silicone to make things waterproof. It is a good idea to remove the top two studs from the KEP adapter plate before you install it on the transmission. It make the engine a lot easier to install as I discovered after about 1 hour of messing around. Also the stud where the starter is must be removed as you will never get the nut on to the stud due to the starter being in the way. Use the original hex bolt here stortened by 10mm or so at this location.

Now I am really impressed! Lots of room left over and it fits easily under my bed with inches to spare (Vanagon owners will have to modify their rear deck by raising it about 3 to 4" as the intake manifold and thottle cable support is too tall). The other neat thing is the stock mounting bracket fits with room to spare, plus the oil pan is level with the bottom of the transmission - meaning I get to keep my factory skid plate! The Audi Fox fuel distributor fits between the intake manifold and drive side wall, all I have to do is make a mounting bracket so it stays in one place. Some "L" brackets that are used for shelving should work fine.

Up coming steps: - Install the power steering pump assembly. - Design a simple and strong engine mount setup. Looks like a A2 Golf rear engine mount will work for the driver side (attaching to the wasserboxer mounting bracket). But I have no idea what to do for a passanger side mount. :( - Design an exhaust system. - Hook up the fuel lines. - Hook up the CIS wiring harness. - Hook up the water pipes. - Figure out how to time it propperly.

More to come...

-- David Marshall Email: david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 VW Cabrio, 88 VW Syncro Double Cab Transporter -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- VW Caddy Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org/caddy -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDIGN EMAIL --