Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 1998 02:46:01 -0800
From:         Dane Tessler <dane714@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon being weird/second try
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I finally solved this problem! First, I cleaned up the throttle linkage and body as recommended by Mark McCulley, and then I had the sensor next to the thermostat tested (it was within spec), as suggested by Joel Walker. I'm glad I did those things for the sake of maintenance, but they did not do the trick. My mechanic has an 86 Vanagon. I asked him to swap out his Idle Stabilizer unit with mine to see what happens. That did it. It ran perfectly at all temperature ranges. Idled solidly at 950rpm in gear, about 1150rpm in neutral...no high idles or "hunting". I priced out a new stabilizer unit...new: 190.00, local junkyard: 75.00. I popped in the one from the junkyard (no tools necessary) and again, the problem was gone. FYI, the part # for the idle stabilizer unit is: 035 133 455F If anyone is looking for a used one, there is one more available (at this writing) at Allum's European Automotive in St. Petersburg, FL. Phone: 800 282 1829 (local: 813 321 6221). Thanks Mark and Joel for helping me with the process of elimination! -----Original Message----- From: Dana Tessler <dane714@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Wednesday, March 18, 1998 10:07 AM Subject: Re: "Hunting Idle"

Dane Tessler http://members.aol.com/Dane714/westfalia.html -----Original Message----- From: Dane Tessler <dane714@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, March 22, 1998 11:20 PM Subject: Re: vanagon being weird