Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 1998 12:07:16 -0000
From:         "Woodcock, Frank" <f.woodcock@UNISON.CO.UK>
Subject:      Pooh's on the mend
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@bigkitty.azaccess.com>
Comments: cc: "Frank@frankw.demon.co.uk" <Frank@frankw.demon.co.uk>

My 1981 Eurovan Holdsworth Villa conversion , AKA Pooh recently had a garage service and following on from that last week had the following work done:-

Brake Light switch replaced - the old one was not switching until my foot was to the floor.

New anti-roll bar links and bushes - both of the 'originals' had broken, yet Pooh's previous owner had managed to get it through, what in the UK we call 'it's MOT' , a statutory vehicle roadworthy test! (mmm... so much for MOT certificates)

Right hand carburettor, the old carb's choke spring linkage was missing and the choke flap was flapping about like a loose sail. The engines now a lot smoother but the revs are a little bit low when cold.

This week it's the pain barrier - new break shoes, new exhaust (muffler), tail pipe and Heat Exchangers, they cost an arm and a leg for what they do. Hopefully this will get rid of the horrible exhaust smell that keeps Pooh from being used for camping.

I have a lingering doubt, however - That smell of petrol (gas) that hangs around Pooh if the tank is more than 3 quarters full. I looked underneath at the tank and put my finger on the front left hand corner of the tank on the seam where it disappears into the chassis. There was a small trail of petrol, not enough to drip but more than enough to smell. I hope that this smell will not vent into the van.

While it is off the road I got all the old repair bills and MOT certificates in date order and managed to work out that Pooh had done about 3,000 miles a year since new, which is not too bad - I will concentrate on this for a while as this helps to deaden the cost pain.

I hope that by April 3rd, when we take it on holiday for the first time, Pooh will be mended. Fingers crossed!