Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:42:08 -0600
From:         Darrell Boehler <dboehler@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Flickering oil sensor light (long)
Comments: To: Gregg Scharff <scharff@ENG.KNS.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

--------------------------- Hi Gregg, If you changed from regular oil to Mobil 1 you could have problems with a lot of sludge and varnish deposits working loose inside your engine. I would change the filter again soon. Someone on the list will say use only filters from the fatherland however most any good quality filter will work fine. Purolator has made fine filters for many years, long before vw thought using filters was necessary. You don't mention what oil viscosity you are using, I use synthetic 15-50 except in winter when I use 10-30. Mobil 1 filters are made to withstand 5 times the normal operating pressures, says so right on the box. I found it difficult driving with oil warning lights and alarms going on and flashing on my 86 so I added an oil pressure gauge during a rebuild last fall. Now I get more and better information , as I left the original system intact. I use an electric pressure gauge and installed 3 senders connected to pressure gauge through a switch. With the flip of a switch I can check oil, fuel or coolant pressure.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois

-----Original Message----- From: Gregg Scharff <scharff@ENG.KNS.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, March 23, 1998 9:59 AM Subject: Flickering oil sensor light (long)