Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:46:33 EST
From:         Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: using defunct cell phones (was Re: what would you take on a
              3,500
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> I tried dialing 0+number on my defunct cell phone and was routed to customer > service at my previous wireless carrier. They would not route me to an > operator to place the call. I don't want to test it, but I imagine 911 calls > will not be rerouted and will work as they are supposed to.

There were some areas where I couldn't get an operator to make a personal call travelling cross country using my defunct cell phone. I think around St. Louis was one area. But I did make calls from Kansas, Wyoming, and Colorado using my cell phone without a contract. And a 911 call in Wyoming. And even when I couldn't reach an operator I got a dial tone, so I assume the 911 thing would work.

I may have dialed 1-0-ATT-0 first to get an operator in some places rather than just 0. That is the prefix in my area (NYC) to get an ATT operator from a non-ATT phone. And I think it worked on the road as well. Maybe that will work.

Incidenally I just looked at my bill from the Summer when I was travelling and a 9-minute call from Kansas to NJ on my defunct cell phone cost $18. Ouch! But it is still useful for 911 emergencies.

OK. And, to fess up completely. Total calls from my defunct cell phone on my three week trip this summer (9 calls mostly to the East coast from the west and mid west) cost $77. The longest call was 9 minutes. And I'm not great at math, but it seems better than paying for a contract, and then putting the roaming charges, and toll call charges on top of that. But I've been wrong before...

Jeff 83.5 Westy