Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Mar 1998 00:08:27 -0700
From:         eric solomonson <eric_solomonson@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Driving a VW Van (wind and ice)
Comments: To: Gail Fitzpatrick <redwood@SPEEDLINK.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

From the book VOLKSWAGEN CHRONICLE by Graham Robson (an excellent book by the way) , is an explanation of why rear engine vehicles suffer so much from the effects of crosswinds:

"...the VW (Beetle) has its centre of gravity far behind its centre of wind pressure.... thus sidewinds try to spin the front of the car around the rear wheels." He makes the analogy that it is like having the arrowhead behind the feathers of the arrow. This is the opposite effect of front engine cars, where the centre of spin is around the front wheels. These comments were made about the Beetle, which had 57.6% of its weight on the rear wheels. The Vanagon is 50%, I don't know about the Westfalia.

Knowing this helped me to understand the effects, although I had learned from 14 years of driving a Westfalia that you must compensate in advance for certain situations on the highway. For example, on windy days, you must be aware of openings in trees along the highway, because moving from wind shelters to open areas invariably can cause a sudden change in direction. The same also applies when being passed by, or passing large semi trucks.

Van drivers, and especially VW owners are required to DRIVE, rather than just being the autopilot for an unresponsive, power steering assisted, bubble-shaped minivan.

Winter driveability also is a reflection of the driver's ability. Like the analogy to driving a kite, driving a VW van in the winter is like driving a curling rock. Changes in direction are accomplished with very subtle actions. Again, being alert to changing road conditions is most important. (I learned this by losing control in a turn on a very small patch of ice in the shadow of a large building, on an otherwise clear stretch of road and going over a curb and removing a fire hydrant and a yield sign). And, it is possible to get stuck by parking with one rear tire on a patch of ice, the other three on clear pavement.

Despite these bad habits, with closet doors banging, tables swinging in an out, pots and pans rolling about in the back, and great groaning noises like a clippership on the high seas, on a twisty road, the Westfalia leaves the morning commute tailgaters in the dust.

Eric

-----Original Message----- From: Gail Fitzpatrick <redwood@SPEEDLINK.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, March 23, 1998 9:15 PM Subject: Re: 87 West is unstable in wind