Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Mar 1998 06:46:36 -0800
From:         "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Subject:      Subaru engines in the long run
Comments: To: Vanagon <VANAGON@VANAGON.COM>

I'm pushing the limits of topicality, but a frank discussion of what is in store down the road for anyone contemplating a Subaru transplant is due.

I have a '87 Subaru non-turbo 4WD wagon with around 220,000 miles on it (odometer failed). I'm the original owner.

I'm getting a LOT of oil leaks, low oil pressure, and am facing the reality of having to replace the engine. Most leaks migrate to the exhaust manifold, ughh.

Here's what I've found out (if anyone has any better options, please report)

Nobody trusts a rebuilt bottom end, not dealers, not either of two independents. When the time comes, they all get NEW (and expensive) ones.

At that point it's a crap shoot if you head is cracked or not. If so, it's about $400 for a new head, each.

By the time you're done getting parts and installation, you are into this engine for over $3000. The blue book on my whole car is less than that.'

OK, next option, used engine from Japan. They get them with around 30K on them. The cars rust out quickly, and go to scrap. Engines come to the US. 100 day warranty. Both shops report bad experiences, as the cars face stop and go traffic, little freeway, and with the knowledge that the car is scrap in a few years, little incentive for full maintenance. Engines full of sludge.

I can get one of these longblocks for about $600 from Rising Sun Engines. Plus installation. SO doesn't want to run into a long installation as happened with the '80 Westi engine saga from a few years ago. (hey I got some VW content in here!)

Wrecking yard engines are available with an unknown history. But that's where the conversion people started from anyway.

I've heard to anticipate problems in regards to getting in writing that it's a California engine. I'll be calling yards today.

The cost to fix it is close to the value of the car, and since we don't intend on keeping it (it goes when I get a Deluxe bus), and I hesitate to sell an asphyxiating vehicle to someone. We shoulda traded it in when we bought the Quest.

There is NO Subaru list at ALL. NO Internet information at all unless you are using a Subaru in an aircraft. There is NO aftermarket support for them, unlike VW's ( love the lists).

I don't just wanna Deluxe, I've graduated? into the needabus category.

I'll be on vacation until the 30th, so see ya then and at Kelly Park!

- Jeff Ineeda21/23windowsunroofDeluxewalkthru! to be used for daily driving '80 Westi (2) BOTH FOR SALE '66 Bus, Kombi FOR SALE '22 Piano, upright Kohler & Cambell FOR SALE '67 Sqbk '64 Ford Crewcab '87 Subaru 4WD '97 Nissan Quest Grass Valley, California, USA Jeffrey.Carver@Aerojet.com