Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:35:03 -0500
From:         "John H. Rodgers" <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: (Is British Engineer an oxymoron?)
Comments: To: Judith Barr / Leo Girard <lgirard@BMTS.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon <vanagon@zuni.likeminds.com>

-- [ From: John H. Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Strange and quirky, partly made of wood?

I used to fly a Bellanca Viking (small airplane...little arframe.....BIG engine!) that used 1920's and 30's technology in the airframe........welded tubing frame with fabric stretched over it, a modern 300hp Lycoming aircraft engine, and a wing made of all wood construction so strong that it had been known to shear off a telephone pole and not break the wing...........! Thats new, old technology.........with an Italian name on it!

And I can remember seeing aircraft engines that had handcranks on them, as well as those that used sort of a shotgun shell to get them turning.

Quirky old stuff!! but with a practical side.

John Rodgers '85 GL Driver -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------