Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:31:56 -0800
From:         Kw <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Interior Lighting
Comments: To: Gail Fitzpatrick <redwood@SPEEDLINK.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Howdy those fearing the darkness,

I 'm gonna give away all my secrets. When I replaced all of my "wallpaper" in my 82, I added additional wiring from the front fuse panel to the back. I used a drain snake to pull wires through the door frame and along the driver side. I had all cabinets and paneling out.

I had access to a 93 F**d Ranger at the time and it had a great dome light so I bought one from the ford dealer ($22) and rewired it to work with the two front doors. It took a day to figure out and rewire but it is bright and uses less electricty. It also turns on a spot light to either seat in the front. I did not wire it to the sliding door although it would be fairly easy.

Above the sink I replaced the old light with a fluorescent one. ($25 RV and camper supplies). Then in the back on the bottom of the center cabinet I added a dome light from a 1976 Lincoln. These are heavy duty Chrome plated center dome lights plus two map lights, for a mere 5 bucks. ( Local salvage yard.).

Then I added switches to turn the radio off from the back bed and to run a few lights. I added a mood light by installing a trailer license plate light into the cabinets. It acts as a sconce light about 7 or 10 watts. To add a light all you really need is a hot wire and a ground, toss in a switch and connect it to the light being careful not to over load the fuse circuit it connects to.. I also added a push in cigarette lighter in the rear.

There you go, when you rip out all of your peeling paneling to replace it with birch veneer, while you are there you can add interior lights and more. I love it. Someday I will get a digital camera and serve it all up. I haven't taken too many inside shots.

Any questions ask me. Have fun Ken 82 westy, good interior, bad shifting