Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:45:41 PST
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mstebbins@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Carbs on my '91 Westie Syncro---"The Story"
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

I have been asked by several people for more info on my Canadian '91 Syncro Westie that is running a 4 barrel Weber Carb. So I will post this to the list-serve in case others might be interested. It's a bit of a story:

Background: After meticulously maintaining the van, at about 170,000 km (105,000 ish mi.) the heads started to leak and the first owner talked VW into putting in a NEW factory engine (plus clutch and clutch plate. I have the paperwork to back all this up). The VW dealer mis-wired the alternator (so I have been told) and upon taking it out for a test drive (2 km down the road) the wires stared to fry and an engine box fire broke out. Burned the wires, tubes, the fiber carbon engine cover, burned the rear cabinets, filled the whole van with thick ugly black rubber, plastic smoke. The insurance co. paid off the owner and JUNKED the van (those are my tears on your screen?).

Transition: A "shade tree" ('salt-of-the-earth' rural Nova Scotia honest) mechanic picked up the van from the junk yard for parts. His wife said "No, fix it up and we'll camp in it". He did, they did. She cleaned the inside while he did the retro-fit (I don't know which was the 'dirtier' job). It was re-painted, with new curtains and canvas.

Carburetors: He didn't want to spend the CDN $ 4,800 for ALL of the parts for a NEW fuel injection system (the computer burned, everything burned) so he put on the carb. He told me that he had to cut down the intake manifold a bit so that the carb and air cleaner would fit under the lid. The injectors are still there, just plugging holes (as are all the sensors). He said that he has used the van as an everyday vehicle for about one year, including several trips. He has driven the van for about 40,000 km (25,000 mi.) this way.

My experience: The van is in really in good physical shape. The interior needs some! work, but the important parts (power train, body, seats, fridge stove, sink etc.) are fine. I have only driven it for about 300 km but it runs fine. My only 'bad' experience is that in below freezing weather it stalls at idle - I will have to figure out a way to get warm air to the carbs. Also at 110 kph (65 ish mph) there is a small vibration (like tires slightly out of balance, or a bit of a washboard road) but the vibration disappears if I back off the throttle a hair, or accelerate enough to kick in the other 2 barrels (maybe an intake manifold designed for carbs would help).

I cannot provide more details than this right now (I bought the van last February, on a trip back to Halifax, (as I write this I am teaching in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Vietnam), but if anyone is interested, let me < mstebbins@hotmail.com > know what details you want and when I return to Halifax in April -I will get the details for you.

Oh Yes; I bought the van for CDN $ 10,000 or about US $ 7,000 ish. I'm ecstatic!!!!!! The price was within my budget and the restoration will be a great project (I read ALL the 'wallpapering' posts). This is my third Westie; #1) was a US '81, #2 was a French '85 syncro diesel.

Thanks for listening. Malcolm Stebbins