Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:52:34 -0600
From:         Scott Chen <mac.chen@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Junkyard in N MD
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I've been getting alot of responses to my original post so let me explain what happened... It was such a beautiful day that I decided to take my dogs for a nice long drive in the country on the way back from the veterinarian. I passed a long line of bugs and rabbits (the VW kind) on the side of the road and decided to check it out. I looped around and pulled into a lot and noticed a large junkyard in the back of the building. I knocked on the door of the shop. No answer, it was locked. I noticed a wrecked vanagon peeking behind the fence and walked over. No JYD in sight, so I checked out the van. Parked next to it was another one. Both had semi-complete interiors which were in various states of dissaray. Sitting in the middle of the yard was a Syncro with a flat tire. It looked road worthy though, possible parts runner. There was another section of the yard off to the left. Jackpot! Six more Vanagons, including the Westy mentioned before and an aircooled with a hideous paint job. I did a quick check for anything unusual and doubled back to find someone to get some more info. I finally found someone who said the owner was at an auction and would be back later in the evening. It was not a wrecking yard, they used the cars for parts to stick on the cars they sell. He didn't know what the owner would be willing to sell, if anything. I left my number and went home. Should I find out that he is parting out his cars for public consumption, I will go up there post-haste and do a head count. There were also dozens of bugs and buses as well. Those of you on the west coast probably wouldn't understand my excitement, but in these parts this is pretty unusual. I will be off e-mail tomorrow (Thursday) but will post my findings on Friday morning.

Thanks-Scott