Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:26:47 -0500
From:         Dan Moy <danmoy@CYNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant leak(again)
Comments: To: "John H. Rodgers" <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

John, This is a common problem. There is a hairline crack in your expansion tank. I had one in mine and I could not see it (at 84,000). Replacing the tank solved the problem. At the same time I replaced the o-ring and the cap to the expansion tank. I purchased the tank from the dealer for less then $60.00 and it included the cap.

I suspect, part of the problem is that the expansion tank is right above the exhaust system, which will add to the temperature cycling, hence causing the tank to crack.

Dan Moy danmoy@cynet.net