Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:21:20 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      GPS/Laptop Setup
Comments: To: Mark McCulley <raven@halcyon.com>, vanagon@vanagon.com

At 08:13 AM 3/26/98 -0800, you wrote: >Derek, I'm really curious about the Delorme Tripmate. Does the GPS receiver >tie into the computer?

yes. it displays on the laptop screen and I am told it now displays onto some kind of palm pilot type portable too.

>How do you find it to be useful?

off road driving and exploring; it is too much of a pain to set up for casual driving around town, but it is nevertheless fun to have connected

little green arrows plunk down on the map showing where you are driving and in what direction

>Do you find the >DeLorme CDROM mapping info to be accurate?

quite though not quite up to the level of detail you get on a real topo

>I use their Gazetter publications >and find that I can't always count on them when I get down to the one-lane >dirt trail/roads.

right. same with the CD-Roms, which seem to have slightly less information than the som,e of their gazetters, though not much less

________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC drew@interport.net '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html Note: most valuable Vanagon site on the planet (for owners) is http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon