Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Mar 1998 19:04:47 -0800
From:         Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY (smog)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 01:44 PM 3/3/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Hey all you smog polemicists out there! > >I don't think this smog thing is going to be easily resolved.

The following is *strictly* anecdotal/unscientific - just an observation. I've lived in the Santa Clara Valley (silicon valley) for >40 years; it's ~ 15 miles wide, with low mountains at either side, & I've always been ~ 2 miles frome the western hills. Back in the 60's/early 70's I could only see the western hills maybe half the time in the summer, and it was a rare event to be able to see 'all the way' to the eastern hills (always worth noting or commenting on, it was so unusual). These days it's a rare summer day when it's so smoggy that one *can't* see across the valley - & that's with perhaps twice the cars on the road (& a heck of a lot more roads to boot).

At the same time, my beloved 'Moby' (Adventurewagen) won't pass smoog cert because of NOx. She runs like a charm, smooth as silk, acts like she's 20 instead of 100 (K miles)... in the old days she would have been considered a creampuff, now she's just a smog snortin' pig that has to be 'fixed'.

Oh well - such is progress.

Austin