Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:44:02 -0700
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel mixture adjustment on 81 Vanagons (fwd)
Comments: To: Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I have recently spent some time beneath the mysterious plastic cover on the air box. I'm assuming the problem isn't just running lean at idle, but running too lean all the time. Running too lean at idle is more readily adjusted, I _think_ it's turning the adjusting screw on the air box in a counter-clockwise (loosening) direction. Someone correct me if I have that backwards.

If the problem is running lean all the time, and it's not a cracked vacuum line or something like that, but a problem in how the FI is adjusted, it's necessary to open the air box cover. On my '81 Westfalia I turned the plastic geared wheel counterclockwise to lean, so I presume you'll turn it clockwise to richen. I turned mine 8 clicks of the geared wheel, and that was a very substantial difference.

I've never heard of vanagons with a problem of consistently running lean, usually I hear of folks having problems running rich. The list will hopefully give us some feedback on this, but I'd expect the problem to be other than the FI adjustment, unless these vans were adjusted for a high-altitude area at some point.

Good luck!

Gary

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Joel Walker wrote: > can anyone help these folks?? i can't remember the aircooled fuel > injection stuff ... > > ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:39:19 -0600 (CST) > To: jwalker@ua1vm.ua.edu > From: Siesta Campers <siesta@sol.racsa.co.cr> > Subject: fuel mixture adjustment on 81 Vanagons > > Mr. Walker, > > I own and operate a company in Costa Rica called Siesta Campers > (http://www.edenia.com/campers). We have 3 aircooled gasoline 1981 Vanagon > model Westfalias that all are running too lean (and therefor too hot), and > none of our repair manuals tell us how to properly adjust the mixture. The > only VW dealer in Costa Rica is also unable to assist us. We are desperate > for the technical information on setting the mixture in these campers > correctly. Can you point us in the right direction? > > Thank you for your assistance. > Siesta Campers > Gary Nash >

----------------------------------------------------------------- Gary Shea shea@xmission.com Salt Lake City http://www.xmission.com/~shea