Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:59:54 +0100
From:         Johan Nyberg <johan.nyberg@ABC.SE>
Subject:      More on traction
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hello listees!

Living in Sweden, I do have some experience whith snow. I'm not what you'd call an "expert driver", but I've found a useful trick when traction is bad. In short: If one is stuck because of the rear wheels having poor traction, try not to touch the throttle pedal at all! Just let the clutch up _slowly_. If your idle stabilizing circuits work properly, they will try to maintain idle rpm and the engine is usually powerful enough to get the car going.

It took me three winters of driving and maintaining a vanagon to relize this, and I've lost lots of studs on the rear wheel tires.

I drive an EV in my work, and the trick works very well with this car too.

Caveats: I've no idea of whether this works with automatic trannys, probably it does, and I do have the most powerful (standard) engine available, the 112 hp DJ.

The first time I drove a vanagon ever was after a heavy snowfall, and the feeeling you get when you can almost see the rear of the car through a side window after taking a curve too fast is quite impressive.

Zwei Pfennig...