Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:43:45 EST
From:         GMBulley <GMBulley@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel mixture adjustment on 81 Vanagons (fwd)
Comments: To: JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-03-26 14:04:14 EST, JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU writes:

<< I own and operate a company in Costa Rica called Siesta Campers (http://www.edenia.com/campers). We have 3 aircooled gasoline 1981 Vanagon model Westfalias that all are running too lean (and therefor too hot), and none of our repair manuals tell us how to properly adjust the mixture... ... Gary Nash >>

Snr. Nash,

Assuming your Costa Rican Vans are fuel injected, there is no legitimate way to "set the mixture".

In a fuel injected system, many sensors around the engine send data to a computer. This computer tells the injectors to squirt a little or squirt a lot of fuel, depending on the conditions the sensors percive.

If the mixture is incorrect, it is usually symptomatic of a problem with one of the physical parts of the system, not simply an adjustment. However, your situation is unique. You have three identical vehicles displaying the exact same symptoms at the same time. These vehicles may have endured an identical circumstance that created these symptoms. e.g.

1. They all went to the same mechanic, who set the timing wrong, or messed with a vacuume hose or wiring, and didn't put it back correctly. (But three times?) 2. They all use the same brand of fuel, which has clogged the injectors (partially). 3. Something else that my puny mind can't think of.

Try these things:

Run a bottle or two of good quality Fuel injector cleaner through the gasoline tank. I reccomend Chevron Techron, if it is available there. I use it with a half a tank of gas if I think the injectors are really cruddy.

Make sure the timing is correct. This could cause an improper signal.

Have your repair shop check the fuel pressure. Your regulator could be bad, or the vacuume hose could be misrouted.

Open your air-cleaner hosing and check the Airflow meter. It may be stuck or gunked up. I've never seen this, but I think someone on our newsgroup recently reported it happening to them.

best of luck, (buen suerte)

gmbulley cary, nc