Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:15:54 -0500
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advantages vs. disadvantage of alloy rims
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>All this talk has got me wondering about the pro's and con's of alloy rather >than steel rims.

Alloys are usually stiffer (yep I'm not lying, although aluminum is a third the modulus, typically you got much more cross section, and moment of inertia of the cross section), and are often, but not always (I've never weighed a Vanagon rim) lighter which reduces unsprung weight making your suspension work less, and more efficiently. When it comes to the Vanagon OEM alloy versus steel rim, I'd guess them about equally prone to being bent as the alloy is a monstrous thing, not always true, early Corrado alloys bend if they sit in the sun too long (well nearly). Alloys look real cool and trendy, but when you gouge one, it looks like crap and is hard to fix, when you scratch a hub cap, who cares (it's a hub cap), alloys are generally expensive, and require care (not hard to care for, just require some care, washing, waxing, etc to keep them looking good.) Alloys are available in many sizes and fitments, even quite a few aftermarket for the Vanagon. And the OEM vanagon is a bit wider? than the steel rim, so perhaps a teeny tad better at supporting a wider tire against rolling, but that is likely trivial. So there you have it, is one better than the other, probably not as far as origional Vanagon fare goes, despite what people may like to believe, it ususally comes down to looks and cost. I wouldn't go running out killing yourself to find a set, now if you want a bigger diameter via Audi or aftermarket, that's another issue altogether.

John vwbus@mindspring.com