Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Mar 1998 00:27:08 EST
From:         SyncroHead <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GPS/Laptop Setup
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Here's what I use: I have a Magellan Trailblazer GPS and the Delorme Street Atlas and Map & Go CD ROM based software maps. Unfortunately the Delorme software won't comminicate with the particular model of GPS that I have. The software has a number of drivers to communicate to a variety of GPS units. Mine's not on the list! When I've used the software on-line with a GPS, I've borrowed a friend's Magellan 4000. Works well!

The Delorme CD maps that I have DO cover Canada, but they appear to be in less detail that USA. Perhaps those sold in Canada, have more Canadian detail.

The "Tripmate" kit that Delorme sells is a combination of their CD ROM map software and a GPS reciever. The GPS receiver they supply is not functional as a stand alone unit however. It has no dusplay, no buttons, and is usefull only when connected to a PC with their software.

Street Atlas and Map & Go each cost about $15 to $30 each and both have the GPS communication capability. Map & Go adds to Street Atlas hotel, restraunt, and other attractions from AAA. GPS recievers run about $100 to $300. I suspect the cheapest ones have no communication capability. Communications with GPS receiver is typically an option, and it can be an expensive one at that! If you're considering buying a GPS and you expect that you might want to have it communicate to something (like a PC), find out what it will cost to add external communications before you buy.

Regards, Jim Davis