Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Mar 1998 11:44:13 -0700
From:         Fred Porter <fporter@EYRING.COM>
Subject:      Silly CV abuse,
              part Deux /f (WAS: Re: Unknown vibration at light throttle
              settings.)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Holly and/or Chris wrote: > That was a Honda. Now I drive a '78 Westy that out of 4 CV joints has 1/2 > of a boot. None of the others are covered. It was like this when I got the > van and I decided once I felt the same tremor that I wouldn't try to the > save these CV's with grease and boots - I'd see how long the would last in > the elements. A long time is the answer as they have been on the road with > me for about a year now and about 9,000 miles. Have been on dirt roads and > forded a couple of creeks where nothing got wet inside but I am sure the > CV's did! > > Now the contest is to see who gives up first me or the CV. I'm to the point > where I may have to buy new halfshafts and at least keep them under the > back seat because they'll probably let go some night on the HWY when it's > dark and rainy! Happened to me with my '84 Cabrio (and they looked and felt > healthy - luckily I was just pulling out of the mechanic's parking lot!). > Well, after i read this enlightening bit about CV joints, i decided to one up you: I ran out to my van, pulled the drain and fill plugs on both gearboxes of my syncro and let the oil run out. I left the plugs out too. Then i cut all 8 CV boots off my syncro's halfshafts and sprayed gasoline on them to start getting the grease out. Then i pulled the cover off my AFM and threw it in the bushes. I also took the airfilter out and took off the air inlet to the filter box. This weekend, i plan to drive down to the desert via jeep roads, fording several streams, and then, if i make it that far, baja around in the sand dunes. Just so I can get home, i'm taking two new gearboxes, a new engine and 4 half shafts with me. Just hope theres enuf room under the van to get the new gearboxes in.

its miller time! Fred