Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:20:40 -0700
From:         Scott McDonell <scott@KONNECTIONS.COM>
Subject:      Re: VANAGON WITH AUDI ENGINES
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

John H. Rodgers wrote (in part)... ...we here seem to have been stuck with a vehicle with an extrodinarily bad engine ......the Wasserboxer...

"Extraordinarily bad engine"? I, for one, am very much down with the motor in my '86 Syncro. Just rebuilt it about a year ago, and if I need to drop a couple thousand dollars every 10 years on an engine that powers the best vehicle I've ever owned, then so what? The thing starts right up, pulls strong, sounds good, idles fine, cruises on the highway smooth and quiet, puts out lots of heat front and rear, goes anywhere in any kind of weather on any kind of road, holds lots of people and skis and boards and bikes and gear, etc, etc. Sure, I'm best friends with my mechanic and he can probably buy lots of beer on what I pay him each year, but the reality is the amount of cash I spend annually on my Syncro doesn't come close to how much I could be spending on a new vehicle. My insurance is cheap and chicks dig it, as well. Stop me. Anyway, I got in trouble a few weeks ago when someone started harshing the wasserboxer, but if I wanted a Chevy-powered vehicle, I'd buy a Safari AWD (no, thanks). If I wanted a Suburu-powered vehicle, I'd buy another Legacy wagon. One of the best cars I've ever owned, but it ain't no Vanagon. Later!