Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Mar 1998 13:45:12 -0600
From:         Scott Chen <mac.chen@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      VW Junkyard in MD
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I just got back from a day at the junkyard. It's located in Woodsboro, MD, a little north of Frederick. I spoke with Mark, who owns the place, and the Vans are OK to part out, however he does not want to get calls on nickle and dime stuff and seemed leery of my releaseing his phone number to a mailing list. If you're in the area, he seems alright with stripping the vehicles yourself, but I don't think he wants to spend the time getting your $1.25 window crank handle and mailing it to you. Mind you, this is a business and he is not giving the stuff away. I paid 100 dollars for two front seats and 10 bucks for a front turn signal lens. I also picked up the dashboard cup holder. Anyone know the history of these things? It's injection molded plastic, the same brown as my dahboard, and has to be made just for the Vanagon as it fits perfectly. Sorry to whoever wanted it, but it's a keeper. I also got the black plastic sleeve which fits over the shift lever (I always thought they were painted), and a later model shift knob. All in all a good day.

Now-for what he has. A total of 14 Vanagons in various states of disassembly. No weekender interiors, but there were at least two middle seats in good shape. He does have some diesels, but he is holding on to the bellhousings and oil pans (this guy knows what he has). The old Vanagon Westy is a diesel (engine still in it) and the interior is apparently available to part out, he didn't mention that it was off-limits. There is alot of good glass, door panels, interior bits, etc. Some hubcaps scattered here and there, no alloys to be seen. As I said, he isn't stupid and takes most of the good stuff off, like tachometer guage clusters and rear window wiper motors. One of the Vanagons still had one of the tow hitches that bolts on to the eye hooks though. He mentioned that working rear window wiper motors are hard to come by and didn't know if he had any. I almost bought a tachometer guage cluster but when I tried it the Tach didn't work and the water light blinked without the ignition switch being turned on. Any thoughts on that?

It was kind of sad, a majority of the vanagons showed some of the love that their owners had for them. There were personal details on each van, most of the bodies were in decent shape and I witnessed one unfortunate victim on its way to the crusher, filled to the brim with scrap metal. I need to go back next week and can scout out specific items. E-mail me with your needs and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers! Scott\'84 Westy Rockville, MD