Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:02:39 -0500
From:         William Dummitt <williamd@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: auto tranny vs. manual
Comments: To: vanagon list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Whenever I've driven an automatic vanagon, especially a Westy, I always have the feeling that it is dragging. It's not that the peak power is not there, but whenever you choose your own shift points, you can do a better

job than the automatic can do. The real difference is in hilly country.

You can drop to third gear in a manual and hardly miss a beat, but an automatic vanagon will really slow down going going uphill. For some reason, I've always found that the VW automatic is hard to manually downshift, more so than American automatics.

I had an automatic EV 5-cyl. and a vangon 4-sp. at the same time. On flats the EV would leave the vanagon in the dust. However, I had a much easier

time crossing the Rockies in the 4-sp. vanagon despite a less powerful engine, because I could shift at the optimum moment. The EV automatic really struggled up the steep mountains.

Not everything about automatics is bad, though. An automatic will often last almost forever with minimal (or no) maintenance, while manuals will require a clutch from time to time and finally a very expensive tranny rebuild or replacement. Still, I'm really sad that VW decided not to bring the 5-sp. EV into the US with the VR6. Canadians have all the luck.....

Bill 87 Westy "Wendy" 87 Syncro Westy "Hellbitch"