Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Mar 1998 20:38:26 -0600
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor2@FLASH.NET>
Subject:      Add on A/C BTU Requirements 82 Diesel Westy: Questions

Volks, I have researched this subject at length and have no real answers, therefore I will throw it out for List assistance. Situation: I am preparing to purchase a stand alone Toyotomi A/C unit to be run from gas generator on my Diesel Westy. Toyotomi offers 4000 and 7200 BTU units. The 4K BTY unit is preferable as it only pulls 4.2 Amps/400 Watts and therefore a smaller wattage generator can be employed. The 7.2 K BTU unit requires 7.4 amps and 840 watts requiring larger generator capacity. These a/c units can be seen at:

http://www.toyoair.com/index.htm

BTW, Bob Bellanca is presently following this method successfully down in Baja w/his 82 Diesel Westy. I will probably pull this with a Yahama 1000: 950 watt surge/850 continuous watt gasoline generator.

Problem: Will this 4000 BTU unit cool the Westy in August in S.E. Texas (98 deg F and 100% humidity) during the heat of the day and in top-popped up configuration? Flexible ducting (return air) will be stretched up into the upper berth.

In my heat loading calculations I've determined it will be close as it must cool down 4 humans (Wife/I/2 kids) on top of the climatic heat. This rig apparently works well for Bob Bellanca down in Baja during the summer without window tinting, yet it is just himself to be cooled and sometimes his SO (2 total souls).

Additional: I will apply limo tint (95% light/heat rejection) to hatch glass and back two windows, otherwise standard tint throughout (80% light/heat rejection), and insulate with spray on urethane foam all I can do (sliding door etc.) I figure I can run the unit max cool continuously while travelling/camping for the entire time.

Anyone have the skills/background/knowledge to know if this little a/c unit can pull this heat load during peak heat loading (Late afternoon/98 degF/ 100% humidity) -if run continuously- and Westy kept as closed as possible? Any and all feedback greatly appreciated. ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> Shalom Mark B. Magee 82 Diesel Westy (micro motorhome: diesel pusher/needs a/c) 87GL 96 Suzuki 4WD Sport Kemah TX USA John 14:6