Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:46:42 -0800
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Syncro U-Joints
Comments: To: Budd Premack <bpremack@wavetech.net>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@Vanagon.com

Budd:

You and kyle were right...the moderate-low rpm shudder/flutter/vibration in the rear of my syncro was the u-joints. Both joints have a flat spots that bind. I found out this mornionjg after I drove down to Volks-MotorSport Cafe where Kyle was waiting for me (he had just returned from surfing since 5:30 a.m.). I pulled into one of his well appointed garages...he wheeled under the van. ...checked everything over...the drive shaft seemed like something was loose inside of it....Kyle jumped and ran to grab an old shaft he has lying around so we could cut it open and see what could possibly be in there....but no saw...out on a job...damn

After I removed the shaft, it became apparent that there was nothing loose in there...(Kyle still wanted to cut that old one open, though...what is inside of them any way?)...but the U-Joiint bearings were obviously shot...of course, vw won't sell just the joints...only a completely rebuilt shaft for $700...as you well know, Budd. I would like to confirm that you were able to get the shaft to balance after you put those farm tractor joints in. I would also like the U-joint part number you used if you have it (as I am sure would others.) I want to do the same job you did as long as you got it to work flawlessly. Tim Smith replaced his U-Joints, too. It sounds like it cost both of you less than $200...lots better than $700 for a rebuild or $1000 for a new one.

Kyle lived up to his reputation by spending a lot of time with me...checking everything over for me...finding a used rear wiper motor for me and some other stuff...and charging me nothing for his time after giving me a good deal on the parts. You gotta like that. Got a free liecnse plate frame, too. Thanks Kyle! steve