Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Mar 1998 04:09:07 EST
From:         Ssittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Water tank level sensor
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

The good news: Following the excellent instructions posted on the list last week by George Janini, and also by reaching into the tank by hand with a soapy rag and scrubbing, I have cleaned out the green slime and black crud that coated the water tank in my recently purchased '87 Westfalia. Even the hoses look a lot better - not 100%, but hopefully good enough not to poisen us.

The bad news: Now my water level sensor doesn't work. It used to. Now it always reads "full". I suspect I damaged the float rod somehow - it took a fair amount of wiggling to get it out of the tank. I suppose it's also possible I somehow electrically damaged the monitor panel itself, although that seems less likely.

The symptoms: - Water level always reads "full". - Battery level indicator works fine (I think). - "Fridge pilot on" light lights when fridge pilot is on. - "Fridge pilot on" light also lights whenever the pump is running. Odd. I don't know if it did this before or not. Does anyone know if this is just a Westfalia idiosyncrasy, or something unique to mine (and thus probably indicating a problem in the panel). - I thought the "fridge pilot on" light also used to light when the fridge was running on 12V (with the engine running). Perhaps I imagined it. In any case, it doesn't now. Does anyone else's do that? - My manual says that turning off the panel switch should also disable the pump. Mine doesn't, and never has. I assumed it was an error in the manual, but ? - Wire connectors look OK at the tank end. (No obvious shorts or breaks, at least.)

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone know a source for a replacement sensor rod or monitor panel?

Thanks.