Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Mar 1998 05:46:01 -0800
From:         "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Subject:      Re: considering a westy
Comments: To: Vanagon <VANAGON@VANAGON.COM>

Just to be picky and to let you all learn a lesson the easy way. It's my job to learn them the hard way.

You CAN get 4x8 sheets of plywood into a Westi, well a couple anyway. But you will pay for it in the way of cut up rear hatch seals. But they will fit. BTDT.

Much better is to just place them on the roof. They lay flat enough to just strap them down. The top is flat enough that the plywood doesn't crunch it. Only a few though.

12 foot boards fit inside with the hatch closed. You have to rotate the passenger seat and lay the boards on the seat. 14 footers have to hang out the passenger window. 16's go on the roof or poke out the rear. My kayak almost didn't fit inside, but it does now that a the rear hatch paneling has a kayak shaped hole punched in it. But it is better than punching out the front window like my brother did in his early 70's bus with his kayak =8-O Removing the passenger seat provides a LOT of room for lumber. Remember to tie the pile together AND to the passenger side door pillar or the load may shift into your lap.

Still lots of room for other stuff under the lumber in front of the rear bench. I have to confess I cheat a little in that I have a porta-potty that is in a box that is behind the passenger seat. This provides support for the lumber up front.

I throw some small pieces of plywood on top of the rear bedding to protect them for hauling. Covering the mattress with a blanket first.

- Jeff Iwanna21/23windowsunroofDeluxewalkthru! to be used for daily driving '80 Westi (2) BOTH FOR SALE '66 Bus, Kombi FOR SALE '22 Piano, upright Kohler & Cambell FOR SALE '67 Sqbk '64 Ford Crewcab '87 Subaru 4WD '97 Nissan Quest Grass Valley, California, USA Jeffrey.Carver@Aerojet.com - - - - - - - - -snip - - - - - - - - Westy's are great for just about anything but hauling bulky stuff. You can fit 4x8 sheet stock inside a regular bus or Vanagon, but not in a Westy. I wouldn't recommend putting a rack on the fiberglass top for carrying heavy loads like this either. You could get a gutter rack with long legs so that it clears the top, but the rack ends up being pretty high off the ground.

-Mark McCulley

At 04:05 AM 2/28/98 -0800, you wrote: >there is a westy in the town I live in that is for sale. it is 2200 air >cooled and no rust and all complete with LP connection. >What I am wondering is how well can you fit lumbar inside / outside it I >am mostly concerned f plywood and the other sheets of material are there >good roof rack or ????? >