Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:20:08 -0500
From:         William Dummitt <williamd@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: design ideas for small garage
Comments: To: vanagon list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Tobin-

I've done what you've done TWICE in my life. Both times I set out to build a garage myself, but discovered to my surprise that I could get a better deal from a garage company. You may think "I don't want any prefab junk"

but in fact there are companies who build very good garages for less than

you can yourself. They can get components such as doors much cheaper than you can buying retail. Examples: In 1990 I had a company called Coach House Garages (based in Illinois) build a 3-car, 2-door, 34x22 beauty

(with special 7 1/2 ft. door height so a VW camper would easily clear) for less than $8000. I talked to one of their reps a couple of years ago and

that same size garage was still only about $10000. That garage was one of the main selling points when I sold that house.

Long ago, in about 1980, a company called Bullock Garages built a decent garage for me (1 1/2 car) for $2700. The cost to have a footing dug and

the concrete poured so I could build my own was half of that.

Don't know what part of the country you're in (I'm in St. Louis) but check the yellow pages in your area and see who is in the business locally.

Costs do vary hugely from one part of the country to another. All the outfits I dealt with pretty much let you design the layout, choose door type, window type, etc.

Bill