Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:09:57 -0800
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran.inc@INTERNETMCI.COM>
Subject:      What's this Camber and Caster?  And what' "Height" got to do with
              it (them)?
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Listees,

On Friday, after reading on the List for months about Yokohama LTY357 "D" tires, I bought four. After comparison shopping The Tire Rack, Discount Tire, and America's Tire, I shopped Sears.

Ol' Sears, with whom I have been dealing since the dawn, met the lowest competitive price, (after checking with the aforementioned suppliers) and gave me an extra 10 per cent discount for using my Sears Card, and because I am, finally, a person with a "Mature Outlook," Sears lopped off another $10.00 in Sears' dollars from the price of the four tires.

Tire Rack had the best price, net, "off the rack," so to speak, but after tax, shipping, the hassle of scouting around for the mounting, balancing, valves, and no road hazard , I opted for the same-day mounting by Sears.

Including an alignment, the Sears card was debited $320.86, US, encompassing expenses of all of the above, including a pence or two for State sales tax.

I kept the superb, but, incorrect, tires formerly mounted on the Westy to transfer to my wife's 73 Mustang, so there was no disposal or environmental fee involved.

Upon completion of the alignment on a Hunter machine (see hunter.com for good insights), I was given a readout which reflected that:

Right Front camber was-0.61 Actual, and -.060 Before, alignment. Specified Range is listed as -0.50 to 0.50. See note: "Asterisk Value is not within specification. Tire wear, handling, or similar problems may result."

Right Front Caster was 6.61 Actual, and 6.61 Before, alignment. Specified Range is listed as 7.00 to 7.50. See note: "Asterisk Value is not within specification. Tire wear, handling, or similar problems may result."

The Alignment Technician said the problem is one of "height." He drew a schematic, but it is hieroglyphics to me.

Does anyone have any insights on what may be causing this camber/ caster condition and what steps I can take to rectify it? I've posed the same question to Hunter via the WWW site. I'll post Hunter's reply for those Listees interested.

Thanks,

Tom Hanlon Pal Springs, CA