Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:25:06 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU>
Subject:      Re: VW Caravelle C, Turbo Diesel... info on turbo....
Comments: To: vw-diesel@velocity.bc.ca, PFJELDST@ONLINE.NO, vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: vw-diesel@velocity.bc.ca

> I have got a \26488 VW Caravelle Turbo diesel (European). > Last fall I had a timing belt failure, and had to change > engine ("everything" was broken..). : > I have a feeling that the turbo isn`t working. > The turbo was moved over from my old engine by > the workshop that switched the motors for me.

What are the symptoms? The turbo couldn't be affected by the "interference" failure from the broken timing belt. (Change the timing belt occasionally (60 000 miles) to avoid this)

So they could have mounted the turbo wrong (perhaps forgot the oil feed or return. I can't really thing of any error that you can do when mounting a turbo, which wouldn't be very obvious.)

If the power is low. It smokes or starts hard it could just be an adjustment problem.

If they swapped in a non turbo complete engine, and just put on the turbo you're somewhat screwed. You don't get any extra power, because the Nat. Aspirated injection pump doesn't increase fuel metering with turbo boost.

> There is no Haynes book on this car and that is

There is a Hanes manual on the late model vanagons, but it's perhaps only sold in England. They have a UK WWW site, and you can order it. However the better choice would be to get the factory manual for the TD transporter. Should be available at least in Germany.

Also the transporter TD installation is somewhat similar to VW's other longitudinal TD engines. In a pinch the manuals for an A2 Passat or similar vintage 4cyl Audi could come in handy.

> What I am looking for is ANY info, drawings, descriptions, > overviews etc. on the turbo. > I need to know what to look for, and how to check. > All help will be appreciated!

Use the WWW link below and click on the turbo link. Has the drawings of the TD transporter turbo and exhaust system.

> I am also interested in other info on these cars/engines.

You're welcome to browse the rest of the site. Also check the links page for links to other diesel and turbo diesel sites. There is a mailing list for watercooled transporters. These are called Vanagons in the US, and the mailing list is called vanagon@vanagon.com. Subscription information is available from: www.vanagon.com. There is at least one European TD owner on the list, and a few US people who have converted to TD themselves.

Good luck, Martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------