Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:42:18 -0800
From:         "Backus, Brian G" <Brian.Backus@PSS.BOEING.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Extraordinarily bad engines"
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>

I got 135,000 miles before the head gaskets puked antifreeze all over the highway.This happend more than 700 miles away from home. So I spent three days on my vacation getting parts ordered, shipped, and installed, with backyard methods and tools. This included new heads and my wifes cousins garage, ramps, vise, air compressor, etc. You wouldn't believe how we got the piston pins out and I'm too embarrased to tell. I didn't believe the VW mechanic who told me before I left that I needed new heads becasue of a little deterioaton on the surface of the head gasket. I thought he was taking me for a ride pure and simple.

Then, 12,000 miles later the thing started blowing smoke out the back and so I had the whole thing gone through by a professional. I'm sure glad i haven't added up the total cost. (for my peace of mind)

It wouldn't be so bad if the parts weren't so out of this world expensive. I truely believe that VW has a racket going. But yoiu know how it is, if you want protection, you pay the man...