Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:07:08 -0800
From:         Don Kane <dkane@MAIL.ARC.NASA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: "Extraordinarily bad engines"
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

on my '87, new gaskets at 195k miles, heads were pitted but I used the jb weld method to fill them in, and they've been fine since then, 210k miles on it now.

my '85 was purchased at 80k miles with a gasket problem, in fact the head was off the van. The owner reported that he first encountered a leak at 45k miles, and put new gaskets and new heads on at that time.

my 84 was purchased with a blown engine, paperwork shows that it got a new engine at 125k due to overheating.

I know the 84 was seriously abused by the po, a spacecase who paid no attention to the temp gauge. on the '85 I don't know how it was treated or why it had a problem. The '87 was well maintained by the po, even though he didn't have vw coolant in it. When i took the heads off, it was hard to believe the gaskets sealed anything, they were just shredded, but that was with 195k miles and one application of barsleak at 180k.

I have thought about engine swaps and sent for the info from kennedy engineering, but have decided I'll stick with the wasserboxer. I don't care about more power, and I'm comfortable working on them. Iv'e done the heads on 4 engines now, and I can pull the engine and put in new gaskets and/or heads in 2 weekends easily, even 1 weekend if I don't have much else to do, and the cost is $140 for gaskets, or $600 if I need to replace the heads, which hasn't happened yet. Fixing pitted but otherwise servicable heads is simple, and the price is just the cost of the jb weld. I always clean the heads up and remove the valves and lap them, which takes a little more time, but is well worth the effort. If you don't or can't work work on your van yourself, I agree that the cost of repair can be too high, but i really enjoy working on them, and once you have acquired the necessary tools and experience, they're not difficult to work on. When i have bottom end problems, i'll probably buy a rebuilt, but who knows. If I have the time I may try rebuilding the bottom end. Piston are cylinder kits are available and reasonably priced as well.

Don Kane '87 GL '85 GL '84 Westy '85 GL parts van '67 9 passenger standard