Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Mar 1998 18:50:34 -0800
From:         Dane Tessler <dane714@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Key West Trip Report
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Back from a great trip to the Keys from St. Pete. Glad to say that my 87 Westie (138000 odometer) ran flawlessly for the 820mile round trip, and burned about 1/4 qt of oil. Calculated mileage 18gph.

We took the scenic route from St. Pete, and minimized our time on the Interstate.

-I75 south out of St. Pete, over the Skyway Bridge -Jumped off of the Interstate just north of Ft. Myers and headed east on Rt. 82 into Immokalee. South on Rt. 29, through the heart of the Everglades, passing back over I75 and continuing south to the old Tamiami Trail (Rt.. 41) just north of Everglades City. This old road used to be the only way across the Glades, and there is much more to look at and do along this road. -My traveling friend had never been down there before, so we stopped at an Indian reservation and took a quick airboat tour. Touristy, yes....but a great way to see the glades for the first time. -Westward on 41 to Krome Ave, just before running into Miami (still in the glades) -South on Krome through Homestead and Florida City (gateway to the Keys). Going through Homestead, the effects of Hurricane Andrew are still noticeable. -Camped at the Southern Comfort Campsite in Florida City (25.00 and so-so quality). It was getting dark and a drive down the Keys at night is a waste. -Fired back up at dawn and headed south on US1 down the end of the road. Travelling the Keys has improved greatly since the completion of many new bridges in the early 80's. -Made it to Stock Island (just before Key West) in 3.5 hours and hopped on a 38ft trawler and headed out back for 3 wonderfully secluded days in paradise. -The trip home was equally uneventful....nothing broke! -should have photos up on my website in a couple of weeks

Regards to all

Dane Tessler 87 Westfalia http://members.aol.com/Dane714/westfalia.html

[text/html]