Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:54:42 -0500
From:         Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Next Question:  Transmission Linkage
Comments: To: Donald Baxter <dbax@MINDSPRING.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

VW shift adjustments have been like this for years. Seems like all non-beetles have them. I never liked them. But it works great in the factory with new parts. The splines on the shaft make a good impression on the adjusting sleeve and then when the time comes to do an adjustment both parts want to stay in the splines. If the adjustment we want is in-between the spines it just wont work.

Here is something I have done: Take the shaft out of the sleeve and with suitable sandpaper try and remove the impression of the splines from the inside of the sleeve.

Here is something I have thought about doing: Take the shaft out of the sleeve BUT don't sand it. Then spread the sleeve open a bit, just enough so that you can wrap a thin metal shim around the shaft and then get the sleeve to go back in place. The shim gives you a new surface that the splines on the shaft will bite into and the impression on the inside of the sleeve will lock onto. Next adjustment replace the shim and get a new surface.