Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:26:55 -0500
From:         Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re[2]: waterboxer longevity
Comments: To: "Backus; Brian G" <Brian.Backus@PSS.BOEING.COM>,
          Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Just as there are different types of engines (alum, cast iron) there are different types of leak sealers.

1. Bars/prestone types 2. Aluma-seal types 3. Moroso ceramic types

1. Bars/prestone. These are almost totally organic (no metals) and work by two methods: Seal swelling & gluing. There are some solvents in it that make rubber parts (like our water jacket gaskets) swell slightly and seal better. Also works on connections between hoses.

Then whats left of this stuff basically coats and hardens in cracks and crevices. This might help on very minor cracks in heads/blocks. This is where bad things can happen. If it coats and hardens in radiator or heater cores it can permanently clog them up. But if it seals the joint between the head and block/gasket then its good.

2. Aluma-seal types. These have a mixture of metal fillings and a binder in a powder form. The filings give strength to any chunks of it that forms a plug at a leak. The metal does not melt, the engine/coolant is not hot enough. This is best suited to sealing cracks in cast iron parts and may not be as effective as the others on our typical rubber water gasket problems.

3. Moroso ceramic. These are newer then the others and harder to use. You put the stuff in, run the engine and then let it sit to harden any that was deposited in the cracks/leaks, then I think you drain and fill clean coolant. While these may not have any effect on rubber parts it will get deposited in the crack between the head/water jacket/gasket and seal there. It should also do a good job of filling up typical pitted areas on the heads.

Most of our successes have been with #1 and #3.

There are many books/manuals that warn about using MORE then one application of any of these products. The directions on Bars says "use once a year as preventative maintenance" , "lubes the water pump too"

I have used Prestone sealer and it does work. Got about 80,000+ miles on one application.